Local Graphite installation on CentOS 5.5 howto

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Feature request

Our client called:
- "I want something to monitor my application!"
- "Ok, let's use JMX, we have plenty of stats exposed there already."
- "Fine, but I want something fancy!"
- "Ok, let's install Graphite, take a look at screenshots!"
- "Excellent! Use our testing CentOS machine for this."
- "Ok, erm... wait, nooooo! We have no root access there, there is no internet access and we can't install anything!!!"
- "(hangup click)"

Setup

There I was, standing alone, looking for help...

    My scenario:
  • no internet access
  • only user account, no root account
  • gcc and make installed
  • some libraries missing
  • no development packages for installed libraries
    My goals:
  • install libraries to $HOME
  • install Graphite and stuff to $HOME/graphite

Solution

It took me a few days, but I've managed to install Graphite locally. Here is a gist for a sake of documentation and for others that may need it.

https://gist.github.com/SpOOnman/5957589

No comments:

Post a Comment